The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) is providing the following information regarding the fight against COVID-19 in Georgia:
- During 8/3-8/9, Georgia’s weekly statewide case numbers decreased by 7%.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates that Georgia has experienced a 22% decrease in case numbers over the past two weeks relative to the two weeks prior to that, and that we have seen a downward trajectory of cases for two weeks now.
- The highest % of case numbers still come from the high population counties in metro Atlanta (Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb, Cobb have the highest case numbers) but these counties are actually experiencing decreases now.
- As of Aug. 13, the state reported over 1.9 million COVID-19 tests.
- Eight of the last nine days reporting more than 25,000 tests per day.
- Average of nearly 31,000 per day over the last nine days.
- DPH is operating 180 SPOCs, including mobile and pop-up locations statewide.
- The number of specimens collected at DPH SPOCs has now passed 750,000.
Positivity rates are decreasing from 11.86% on 7/27 to 10.98% on 8/3 to 9.5% on 8/9/20.
Daily hospitalizations have decreased 6.62% in the past seven days.
- 8/06: 3,006
- 8/07: 2,981
- 8/08: 2,878
- 8/09: 2,878
- 8/10: 2,871
- 8/11: 2,881
- 8/12: 2,865
- 8/13: 2,807
Emergency Department Visits
- Emergency Department (ED) visits related to COVID-19 are slightly decreasing and influenza- like illness (ILI) visits are slightly decreasing.
Areas of Concern
- We are seeing decreases in many other areas, but we see growth and/or high transmission in rural middle GA (Bleckley, Appling, Wayne, Taylor, Crawford, etc.), NW GA (driven partially by many outbreaks in manufacturing facilities), east central GA and areas of south Georgia. These increases are driven by ongoing community transmission as well as outbreaks.
- Aug. 6-12: 110 outbreaks
These outbreaks are occurring in settings where people are physically congregating and underscore the need for distancing and source control.
- Long-term care facilities 23
- Schools/school athletic teams 14
- Offices/workplaces 14
- Manufacturing facilities 13
- Prisons/jails 13
- Churches 8
- Restaurants 4
Outbreaks were also documented in hospitals/outpatient facilities, daycares and grocery stores.
For more state-level data, visit the DPH website: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report
For more Coastal Health District data, visit our COVID-19 data page: https://covid19.gachd.org/covid-19-data-and-charts/