The Department of Public Health has received reports that people are using diluted chlorine dioxide to “treat” COVID-19. Chlorine dioxide is a bleach-like cleaning agent and, if ingested, can have severe, adverse health effects, including death.
Chlorine dioxide products have not been shown to be safe and effective for any use, including treatment of COVID-19.
Products are being marketed online under various names: MSS, Miracle Mineral Solution, Master Mineral Solution, Water Purification Solution, CDS, Aqueous Chlorine Dioxide, and others.
Ingesting chlorine dioxide products are not meant to be swallowed by people, and can lead to:
- Respiratory failure
- Potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms
- Life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration
- Acute liver failure
- Low blood cell counts
- Severe vomiting
- Severe diarrhea
The Georgia Poison Center advises that chlorine dioxide not be swallowed, and not be used outside of industrial settings where appropriate precautions against injury from this chemical can be used.
For more information or if you or someone you know has ingested chlorine dioxide, call the Georgia Poison Center Hotline: 1-800-222-1222
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Warning:
The FDA reminds consumers to be cautious of websites and stores selling products that claim to prevent, mitigate, treat, diagnose or cure COVID-19. Fraudulent COVID-19 products may come in many varieties, including dietary supplements and other foods, as well as products purporting to be drugs, medical devices or vaccines. Products that claim to cure, mitigate, treat, diagnose or prevent disease, but are not proven safe and effective for those purposes, defraud consumers of money and can place consumers at risk for serious harm. Using these products may lead to delays in getting proper diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19 and other potentially serious diseases and conditions.