Birth Records from the Chatham County Vital Records Office
The Chatham County Vital Records Office can issue birth records for anyone born in Georgia since 1919. Previously, records were only available from the county where the birth occurred, but through a new Vital Event Information System, records are now available for births occurring in any Georgia county.
There is a $25 fee for obtaining a copy of a birth record, and $5 for each additional copy ordered at the same time.
Who is eligible to receive certified copies of birth records?
- The person named on the certificate. If the person named on the certificate (i.e. the registrant) is the requestor, that person must provide valid photo identification at the time of the request.
- The parent(s) named on the birth record. Must provide valid picture identification.
- An authorized legal guardian or agent. Any person who has legal custody or control of a minor child must provide a certified copy of the court order establishing guardianship and legal custody.
- Grandparents of the person named on the certificate. Must provide proof of relationship such as the birth certificate of the registrant’s parent.
- An adult child or adult sibling of the person named on the certificate. Must provide proof of relationship by providing a copy of his or her birth certificate listing one of the same parents, along with his or her valid government issued picture identification which includes signature.
- The spouse of the person named on the certificate. Must provide a copy of the marriage certificate, a photo copy of the spouse’s picture identification, which includes the spouse’s signature, with a notarized letter from the spouse giving permission.
- An attorney. Must represent an immediate family member and provide a notarized letter on letterhead signed by the attorney; provide bar number indicating reason for the request and whom they represent; provide supporting documentation with the fee; provide a notarized release from the biological mother, in the event of an adoption.
- State or Federal Government Officials. The State Registrar or the local custodian may disclose data from Vital Records to authorized representatives of Federal, State, or County agencies of government which request such data in the conduct of their official duties.
What qualifies as valid photo identification?
A valid picture ID is required to purchase a birth record. Examples of valid photo ID:
- Georgia Driver’s license unexpired or expired for not more than one year
- State of Georgia Identification Card unexpired or expired for not more than one year
- State of Georgia Weapons Carry License – New
- Unexpired driver’s license issued by another U.S. State, jurisdiction or territory
- Unexpired official Identification Card issued by another U.S. State, jurisdiction or territory
- Unexpired U.S. Passport
- Unexpired Foreign Passport
- U.S. Military Identification, Military Dependent Identification, Veteran’s Identification
- Unexpired Consulate Card
- Transportation ID
- Debit Card with Picture
- Employer ID Card
- School, University, or College Identification Card
- OMV ID Card
- Department of Corrections Identification Card
How do I purchase a birth record from Chatham County Vital Records?
You may purchase a birth record from Chatham County Vital Records in one of these ways:
Come to the office in person
The Chatham County Vital Records Office is located inside the Chatham County Health Department at 1395 Eisenhower Drive in Savannah. The telephone number is (912) 356-2138 or toll free 1-866-667-3236.
For same-day fulfillment of your request, you must arrive at least 30 minutes before the office closes. This applies to lunchtime closures, and end-of-day closures. This will give our staff time to locate the record and create the certified copy.
Office hours are:
- Monday – Wednesday 8a – 12p (arrive by 11:30a) and 1p – 5p (arrive by 4:30p)
- Thursday 8a – 12p (arrive by 11:30a) and 1p – 7p (arrive by 6:30p)
- Friday 8a – 2p (arrive by 1:30p)
*The Chatham County Health Department is closed on the last day of every month for staff training.
Methods of Payment
There is a $25 fee for obtaining a copy of a birth record, and $5 for each additional copy ordered at the same time. We accept:
- Money orders from the post office or financial institutions (banks/credit unions)
- Visa and Mastercard (we do not accept Discover or American Express)
We do not accept checks. A valid picture ID is required to purchase a birth record.
Write to the office, mailing in the fee and information
For mail-in birth certificate requests, please include the full name as it appears on the certificate, date of birth, hospital where birth occurred, father’s name if listed, mother’s full maiden name, your mailing address w/phone number, a copy of your state-issued driver’s license or picture ID, a stamped, self- addressed envelope, and a cashier’s check or U.S. Postal Service money order (ONLY) payable to:
PO Box 14257
Savannah, GA 31416
Place your order over the telephone and pay with a credit card using the Vitalchek service
Vitalchek is a telephone service that can be used for ordering certified copies of birth records. The fee to use Vitalchek is $12.50 plus the $25 certificate fee (a total of $37.50).
If you need the record quickly, you can have your record shipped by Federal Express for an additional $20 fee (for a total of $57.50). Federal Express usually delivers the next business day.
The Vitalchek telephone number is 1-877-400-4439. You can also access Vitalcheck online at vitalchek.com.
Questions? Give us a call at (912) 356-2138
or toll free 1-866-667-3236