Family planning services are provided directly by your local health department. Services are offered in every clinic, and your confidentiality is protected.
Some of the medical services provided include:
- Comprehensive assessment including history and examination, for males and females
- Provision of FDA-approved contraception, including voluntary sterilization
- Evaluation and management of contraceptive-related problems
- Collection of specimens for specific laboratory tests, such as Pap smears, urinalysis, hemoglobin, gonorrhea, etc.
- Evaluation and management of sexually transmitted diseases and common gynecological problems
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
The family planning program also provides educational services, such as:
- Abstinence and pregnancy postponement counseling
- Reproductive and preventive health education
- Pre-conceptual counseling
- Adoption awareness
- Self breast/testicular examination
- Counseling on risk factors associated with sexually transmitted diseases and HIV
- Substance abuse counseling
- Tobacco cessation counseling
- Violence and sexual abuse counseling and referral
- Counseling on risks and benefits of contraceptive methods
- Problem-specific counseling and referral
Family planning services are available in the Bryan, Chatham, Effingham, Liberty, Long, McIntosh, Glynn and Camden County Health Departments. These health departments serve the cities of Pembroke, Richmond Hill, Savannah, Springfield, Hinesville, Ludowici, Darien, Brunswick, St. Mary's and more.
For more information about birth control and STD prevention, visit the CDC's National Prevention Information Network website.
For more information about healthy pregnancies, visit womenshealth.gov/.